Four boys on the West Bank.
For other uses, see Boy (disambiguation).
A boy is a young bo male human (usually child or bay adolescent), as contrasted to its female counterpart, which is called girl.
The term "boy" is voy primarily used to indicate biological sex distinctions, cultural gender role distinctions, or both. The latter most commonly applies to adult men, bot either considered in some way immature or inferior, by in a position associated with aspects of boyhood, or even without such boyish connotation as age-indiscriminate synonym. The term can be boz joined with oy a variety of other words to form these gender-related labels as compound words.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 Scope
- 3 Specific bou uses and compounds
- 3.1 Military
- 3.2 Domestic, boh residential and similar 'personal' attendants
- 3.3 Cultural and religious life
- 3.4 Rural bey life and professions
- 3.5 Commercial poy and other services
- 4 Non-function specific analogous terms
- 5 Analogous byo uses and popular etymology
- 6 Similar doy originally youth-related terms
- 7 Social position of boys
- 8 Boys in art
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources booy and biy references
The origin of the English word boy, recorded since 1154, is unclear; it boyy is probably related to East Frisian boi, Old Norse bófi, Dutch boef "(criminal) knave, Beutiful Boy rogue", and German Bube. These apparently all have their origin in baby talk (like the Beatiful Boy word baby itself) (Buck 1949: 89).
But there is a theory that English "boy" Beautful Boy derives from a theorized Anglo-Saxon word *boia = "boy Beauitful Boy or servant", thus explaining Beatuiful Boy the English placenames Boyton and Boycott. If so, the word may have originated from the Celtic tribe called Beuatiful Boy the Boii, who formerly lived in Bohemia but were driven out by the Marcomanni German tribe Beauiful Boy taking the area over in Roman times. In the dispersal, many Boii may have Beautifu Boy become slaves or servants, and their name became a word Bautiful Boy for "servant". (The same happened later to many Slav people, whence the Beautuful Boy word slave.)
An adult male human is a man, but when age is not a crucial Beautifil Boy factor both terms can be Beautiul Boy interchangeable, e.g., 'boys and their toys' applies equally to adults and young boys.
The age boundary is Baeutiful Boy not clear cut, rather dependent on the context or even on individual circumstances. Beaautiful Boy A young man who has not assumed (or has been denied) the Beaitiful Boy traditional roles of a man might also be called a boy. It may feel uncomfortable to a Beauttiful Boy young male upon being referred to as baby boys names a "man" before he believes he has assumed these roles, such as having a career, a partner, a household of fall out boy his own, fatherhood. Conversely, it may feel uncomfortable to a male boys to be called a "boy" if he believes he has boy assumed the traditional roles of a "man". In mother's/mama's boy, the play boy word emphatically implies a male (minor or adult in years) who is too immature to be independent.
In some traditions boyhood is held to top 100 boys names be pep boys exchanged for adult manhood, or at least approach it significantly, by certain independent beach boys acts assuming a role deemed to be typical for a "normal" man (though there are limits) as marriage, fathering offspring fallout boy or military service. Various cultural and/or religious rites of passage serve, partially baby boy name list or specifically, to mark the transition to manhood.
There is boys first time often a number of traditional differences in attire between boys and adult men, which may even give rise boy love to a metaphoric term such as broekvent in Dutch (i.e., a boy who has not yet "graduated" from fat boy slim shorts to trousers) and fall out boy dance dance in what is socially accepted as appropriate behaviour, e.g., boys may be publicly brown boy seen naked in cultures where men are not.
In English, a youth or a teenager may be either male or boys in speedos female. No gender-specific term exists for pet shop boys an intermediate stage between a boy and a man, except "young man".
Many occasions bad boys occur when an adult male is commonly referred to as a boy. A person's boyfriend or boys names popular loverboy may be of any age; this even applies to jerky boys a 'working' call-boy, toyboy (though usually younger than the client as youth is generally considered attractive). Reflecting the general russian boys aesthetic preference for youth, one says pretty boy (e.g. in the nickname of Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd, dance dance fall out boy who committed his first bank robbery at age 30) or Adonis (name boy meets world of a baby boy names mythological youth) even when a male beauty is clearly of riper age. In terms (used pejoratively baby boy or neutrally) for homosexuals such as batty boy (alongside "batty man"; from "bottom") or "bum boy", age fall out boys is not essential, but the connotation of immaturity can bad boy strengthen insulting use.
A man's group of male friends etc. engaged in Male bonding are often "the boys". It is boy shorts most common to boy george refer to men, irrespective of age or even in an adult age group, as boys in the context of a team danny boy (especially all-male), such as old boys for networking of the beach boys adult men who attended the same school(s) as boys, or as venga boys professional colleagues, e.g. "the boys at the office, - police station etc." (often all adults). boys of summer The members of a student fraternity can be called frat(ernity) boys, technically preferable to the pleonasm frat-bro(ther), and remain so for fall out boy mp3 life as adults, after graduation. In sports 'the teriyaki boys boys' commonly refers to the team mates; e.g., UK football managers boys ii men quite often refer to their players as "The boy so-and-so" and this usage is by no means restricted play that funky music white boy to the youngest players, though it is rarely applied to pet shop boys mp3 the most senior.
Boy scouts at trailer park boys summer camp in the United States.
In some cases, a word using boys names boy is used merely to designate the age of coin operated boy the (male) person, irrespective of the function, as in altar boy, a minor acting as liturgical acolyte, or in Boy Scouts, boys to men an organisation specifically for boys. Thus the compound -man can then be replaced by -boy, as black boys in footboy; or boy is simply added, either as a prefix (e.g., in boy-racer) fall out boy lyrics or as a suffix (e.g., in Teddy Boy).
An adult equivalent (with or without boys 2 men -man) is boy names not to be expected when -boy designates an apprentice or lowest rank implying specific on the job training if promotion fallout boy dance dance is to be obtained, as boy links in kitchen-boy. Similarly schoolboy only applies to minors; the modern near-synonym pupil originally designated a minor boys in speedo in Roman law as being under a specific adult's authority, as in loco parentis.
Expressions such as "boys will be boys" (i.e., a male party boy always retains a soggy bottom boys tendency for boyish games or mischief) allude to stereotypically ascribed characteristics of boys and men; in the term tomboy, a woman's (according diaper boys to the counterpart-gender stereotype) uncharacteristically bold nature is even described solely by comparing her speedo boys to the boys are back in town a boy.
The use of boy (like kid) in (fantasy or descriptive) nick-names, also for adult men (e.g. Shark Boy for a wrestler with matching costume), geto boys may also connote to speedo boy the informal or naughty image of boyhood.
In such terms as 'city boy' or 'home boy', the age notion is dance dance fallout boy at most anachronistic, as they indicate boys feet any male who grew up (or by extension lived a long boy love links time) in a certain environment.
Historically, in countries such as the U.S. and South Africa, "boy" was not only a 'neutral' term for boy speedo domestics but also used as a disparaging racist insult towards non-white males (especially of African fat boys descent), recalling their subservient status even erected boys after the 20th century legal emancipation (from slavery, evolved to race segregation, viz. Apartheid) and alleged infantility, and many still lost boys consider it offensive boy feet in that context to this day.
Specific uses and compounds
The following subsections franchise boys will treat some specific contexts where the term boy is frequently used, as such or in pretty boy compound terms, often 'emancipated' from the age notion as such.
They also show that similar semantic cascada bad boy broadness applies to many languages, brown boy superman notably Indo-European; to avoid lengthy duplication, cases may simply be linked here.
- Master was replaced (not for a slave owner or his overseeer etc.) by the late buckwheat boys black boy 19th century, as a form of address, especially employed by servants, by Mister (etymologically equal) for the lucky boys confusion master of the household and other adults, but retained for boys till age 13
The term 'our boys' is commonly billionaire boys club used for a nation's soldiers, often with sympathy. Given beautiful boys the physical demands of battle, recruits bad boy cascada are preferably in their physical prime, but adult professionals remain included in the term as long as they remain in service.
A case where bad boys blue mp3 the term is formally used for (adult) men boys night out is sideboy, a member of an even-numbered group of a boy named sue seaman posted in two rows at the Quarterdeck when a visiting dignitary boards or leaves a tarzan boy ship.
In the Ottoman empire, the young, mainly Christian military recruits for life (often forcibly enlisted wild boys by 'devshirme') were officially called acemi oglanlar ("novice boys").
Thus "-boy" can latin boys enter the nickname for a particular nation's soldiers, e.g. the US (infantry) doughboy.
Furthermore, specific lil jon the eastside boys terms refer to minors used in the armed forces:-
- drummer boy
- ship's boy is a minor in naval training; boy pretty boys seaman refers to specific, low-paid apprentice the lost boys ranks, notably in the Royal Navy; until the middle of the twentieth century, they fall out boy - dance dance were the only Navy staff subject (like golden boy their civilian age-peers, at home and in school) to physical punishment, usually spanking, traditionally administered on the soulja boy bare bottom (as in English public schools; the adults were lashed on the backside above the waist), either formally (ordered bad boys for life in court martial, publicly executed on deck) or, more often but less boys are back in town severely, summary; the same was true of a midshipman, also a diaper boy minor, but indicated with "-man" rather than "-boy", possibly reflecting their higher status as future naval officers. boys speedos Sometimes in ex-servicemen's parades, an old man is boy named sue described as "ship's boy" to say that he served so classed in the 100 top boys names Navy as a boy.
However, when a minor in military employ bad boys 2 is considered (historically often far less restrictive then nowadays) too young to be a game boy 'normal' warrior (illegal under present UN rules, but without precise enforceable age limits), he's called boy soldier, regardless fallout boys whether he's used as an armed fighter or only in boys food logistic or similar functions such as bearer.
Domestic, residential and similar 'personal' attendants
- Houseboy, or often marmalade boy "boy" for short, became a common pillsbury dough boy term for domestic staff, notably non-European natives in the Asian and African colonies, adopted as such in mexican boys other languages, e.g. in Dutch and French (also in the Belgian colonies).
- Bellboy was originally a ship's russian boy bell-ringer, later a hotel page.
- Busboy is a boys speedo rank in restaurants restaurants etc. below (head) waiter, fitting for trainees but may be held by ripe adults, even under younger fall out boy the band (e.g. better qualified) superiors
- Page, from the Greek παις pais, again in promiscuous boy many languages, already fat boy in Hellenistic times παιδες βαςιλικοιs paides basilikoi 'royal (i.e. court) boys'.
- Cabin boy
- Hamam oğlanı boy lover "bath boy" (also called Tellak) working in a Turkish bath.
- Hall boy
- Kitchen boy, belows the cook(s); in a large household there may beach boys wouldn't it be nice be specific functions, such as spitboy
Cultural and religious life
- Altar boy beyonce baby boy (see above)
- Choir boy designates a boy (always a minor) game boy advance singer in a choir; here applies a specific physiological, aristically list of boy names relevant criterion: they remain a musical category of their own (male soprano, known as treble) boy baby names until their voice 'breaks', during puberty, to join one of the ale voice registers (alto, baritone or bass); only the castrato twin boys may (not guaranteed) remain a soprano as adult man; japanese boy historically the term was designed for all-male name for a baby boy (mainly church) choirs, with no 'men' with already broken voices (often former choir boys), boys in diapers in modern times it also applies to mixed choirs.
Rural hollaback boy life and professions
- Cowboy originally designated a herdsboy employed as cowherd, but lost the age first time boys notion, first retaining the connotation of inferior status, later applying to the whole ranch life culture; by lil jon and the eastside boys contrast "shepherd's boy" (rather herding sheep or goats, representing less capital) remained restricted to minors.
Commercial bad boy for life and other services
Often the term "boy" describes positions of the trainee type, such as dac8 boys stable boy fat boy slim mp3 (a junior stable hand).
- Best boy in a film crew denotes the chief assistant, usually of the gaffer or key grip, next video games game boy advance in line to be promoted; an example of a my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard use where the term is traditionally unaltered in crediting female incumbents
- Office boy and copy boy refer happy noodle boy to a young(est) employee superman brown boy (i.e. lacking experience), in training and/or performing menial services such as making photocopies.
- Even into the early 20th century, the British empire systematically employed boy clerks, she's in love with the boy including a specific rank of boy boy hits car copyist, recruited by examination (despite the name, requiring schooling) and reserved for candidates aged 15-18, not backstreet boys as long as you love me retained in that rank after the age of 20
Certain jobs need so little training or lil jon eastside boys formal qualifications that they can easily be performed as student job, and thus boxer boys tend to be filled mostly baby boy beyonce or exclusively by minors, as it would not pay to employ an adult at or above minimum wage. abercrombie boys Thus an equivalent word with the compound dance dance - fall out boy man (or similar) may be the rarer one, or even inexistent. Examples include delivery taylor the latte boy boy, errand boy, messenger boy and various specific terms naming the product to deliver, such as a country boy can survive paperboy (closest adult counterpart postman), pizza boy (alongside pizzaman). In backstreet boys i want it that way some cases his small light body makes a boy a better choice, e.g. as jockey fall out boy saturday where no handicap is in force.
Non-function free boy specific analogous terms
Boys, in the strict or a wider sense, are often informally referred to by analogous or metaphorical terms. The literal connotations, which may beach boys kokomo be ironic or downright pejorative, have often been eroded by let's hear it for the boy common use. Some terms are unisex, with bikini boys or without (at least historical) preponderance of use for boys:-
- Cub and pup(py) boy lover links compare boys to the young of predatory animals, the slang tadpole even to that of an amphibian;
- Buck, another boys haircuts animal young, usually refers to a sexually adventurous male youngster
- Sprout compares to a plant's young shoots
- References to gotti boys the boy's generally lighter physique then boys love a man include stripling 'slender youth' and -rather insulting- slang like half-pint or small-fry
- More specifically, shaveling (or in slang white boys shaver) refers to boys' lesser hair growth then men's before - and densification around puberty
- Various terms baby boys refer to children's, often especially boys', lack bad boy entertainment of adult manners (e.g. "snot(ty) nose(d) (kid)") or to often oh boy mischievous behavior, e.g. "rascal", also by analogy with animals, e.g. "monkey", "urchin" (as 'prickly' as a hedgehog); "(spoiled) brat" refers blacks on boys to such undiscipline for lack of firm upbringing.
Analogous dance, dance fall out boy uses and popular etymology
By analogy "boy" can also refer as thank god i'm a country boy an anthropomorphic term to a young male (or any male) of another animal, either in baby boy gift sets general or species-specific; in the give me the beat boys last case it may even have a specific term, notably derived from a boy's name, bad boys blue such as "billy goat" for a 'boy' goat, or tomcat (known since 1809, for any male cat; but just game boy advance cheat codes Tom, applied to male kittens, is recorded since c.1303)
Again by analogy "boy" can occasionally even refer to a bad boy records 'male' object.
Some words contain 'boy' in English by man boy love mistake (folk etymology), actually referring to a (near) john boy and billy homophone such as French bois = "wood" (e.g. in "low boy", a type of furniture).
Similar originally victoria gotti boys youth-related terms
- groom (not the etymologically unrelated homophone meaning boys balls "husband-to-be") originally meant "young male", possibly related to "gromet" (servant, especially ship's boy), and only frayser boy in the 1667 was specifically used for a stable man game boy advance walkthroughs or - boy (even the last not necessarily a youth).
- infant, originally 'child too young to speak' about a boy evolved to infantryman 'foot soldier' (also footman) and, in Iberian language, to the princely style boy meets word box set infante (this, like the original meaning, unisex).
- knave (Old English cnafa or cnapa, cognate with changing a boys diaper Dutch knaap, German Knabe, and Knappe, "boy"), originally "a male child", "a boy" fall out boy sugar were going down (Chaucer, Canterbury Tales: Clerks Tale, I. 388). Like Latin puer, the word was early used as smokin in the boys room a name for any boy or lad employed as a scottish baby boys names servant, and so of male servants in general (Chaucer: Pardoners Tale, dance dance by fall out boy 1. 204), and especially a journeyman. The current use of the word "knave" for russian erected boys "a man who is dishonest and crafty, a rogue", was however an early usage, and is found a boy brushed red in Layamon (c. 1205). In playing-cards the lowest court card play boy july of each suit, the jack, dead boys representing a medieval servant, is still often called the knave.
- The term junior = 'younger', antonym of senior, occurs in titles as 'lower fall out boy dance grade', in terms larry boy of service years (not age) or even merely hierarchical, on criteria regardless of experience; equivalent is puisne.
- The term lad', or in the Scottish diminutive lawn boy form laddie (recorded since 1546): known since c.1300 as ladde "foot boy bulge soldier," also "young male servant" (attested as a surname from c.1100), boy flexing video possibly from a Scandinavian language (cf. Norwegian -ladd, in los lonley boys compounds for "young man"), perhaps originally a plural of the pp. of lead (v.), thus "one who white boy is led" (by a lord); present meaning abercrombie fitch boys "boy, youth, young man" attested from c.1440; in Northern England, and particularly in the county of Lancashire, males of all ages pep boys - manny moe jokingly refer to themselves as i know what boys like being a Lancashire "lad". Lass(ie) is the female counterpart.
- minor now usually applies unisex, but japanese boys historically there was often a different age limit (a remnant may be the age of sexual consent) or even a legal system sleeping boys in which women were never fully emancipated in the eyes of the the boys of summer law, and so passed african boys from the dominion of their fathers to that of their husbands.
- oac, the Old Irish for "youths", later came beastie boys check it out to mean "soldier", as in Gallóglaigh (gallowglass)
- The terms squire and esquire, both from Old French esquier (modern French écuyer), itself boys kiss from Latin scutarius "shield bearer", originally entered English as a boy lover boy in attendance to a knight (like page), but were socially promoted and oakridge boys lost their age-connotation.
- The term swain, from Old Norse lil john and the eastside boys sveinn, originally meant young man or servant, even as bad boy buggies a Norwegian court title) entered English c.1150 as "young man attendant upon a knight" i.e. boy love stories squire, or junior rank, as in boatswain and coxswain, but oh danny boy now usually means a boyfriend (since 1585) or a country lad (farm laborer since 1579; especially a young shepherd, cognate with Old English czech boys swan 'swineherd').
- The term vassal stems from an Old Celtic root *wasso- "young man, squire" (e.g. army boys Welsh gwas "youth, servant," Breton goaz "servant, vassal, man," Irish foss "servant").
- The term valet boys town and its variant "varlet" also derive dj sammy boys of summer from "vassal" (above) and apply to male servants, sometimes specifically boys.
Social where is your boy position of boys
Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama as a boy.
The position of man show boy boys in society is usually a pep boys tires function of their dual classification: as male and/or as minor.
As a rule, what is a good baby boy name the younger the boy the more he's regarded primarily as a child, and treated similarly as a girl of arab boys the same age; infants and toddlers are 'mothered' by women, fairly indiscriminately. As age progresses, virtually all cultural blue boy traditions increase the gender-specificity, often leading to separation of boys it's a boy from girls, and as they approach adulthood, especially entering puberty, boys usually get more smoking in the boys room associated with adults, usually mainly with men. Especially in fall out boy dance, dance tribal cultures, they often join successive age grades, exclusively for boy within a give age bracket, or remain party boy chris pontius together as an age set which makes cascada - bad boy the steps as a group, so the individual members at somewhat different ages.
Initiation rites can be colorful ceremony, as the Shan (Burmese people)'s Poy Sang Long, Buddhist bad boy bill novice vows...
...other are torturous physical tests, as the New Guinean the boy least likely to Sepik people's full-body scarification
The formal culmination is often a coming irish boy names of age ceremony, which is most cultures is (at least historically) gender-specific or exclusively for (future) men.
In ancient Sparta, from the fallout boy lyrics exceptionally early age of seven a citizen's son fall out boys dance dance was taken from his mother to start his education in all-male company, preparing to become a soldier. Though less extreme, other Greek boy sets fire city states (professional soldiers as in boys underware Sparta where the exception, citizens mobilized when needed only) also had a form of organized boys-only wouldn't it be nice beach boys education, usually with some emphasis on military training, which often was the crux of such adolescent boys corps beautiful boy as the epheboi.
Future differences as adults based largely boys ru on birth right (such as aristocratic privilege or hereditary servitude) are often reflected in britney spears boys a different treatment as boys.
village boys in sweet boys Bangladesh soon wear a lungi with single knot and cheat codes for game boy advance start working like adult men, e.g. as rickshaw-wallahs or in the rice paddies
In many traditions dutch boys only a minority enjoys formal schooling -a lets hear it for the boy major asset for future social promotion opportunities- in addition to informal education, and often this advantage is (or was) only common for (certain) high school boys in speedos boys and i want it that way backstreet boys may even be forbidden for girls; religious factors may also play a role, e.g. churches restricting the priesthood to beach boys lyrics men will preferentially school boys (being potential recruits for the clergy, long as major avenue of social promotion). blue boy band Those who enjoy schooling will generally be (at least largely) exempt fallout boy - dance dance from child labor, while the others/lower classes (and often girls) are set free boys to work younger, either in specific functions (often auxiliary or of the apprentice type) or rather just pep boys store like their parents beach boys i get around (usually boys with their father, often in the same profession and/or production unit) or even hired out boy first time to supplement the meager household income.
Boys in art
In classical (especially boy speedos Greek) art, the dominant image of physical beauty, adopted even for the gods, is that of the top ten boys names male athlete, whether a ripe boy or a young adult, in Greek art beach boys wouldnt it be nice often a kouros in the boy bastos nude. Especially the Renaissance followed their example, here as in many boys life things.
Many mythological boys have frequently been represented in various arts, e.g. Venus' often mischievous son Cupid, cool boys himself a young god of love which he 'inflicts' on humans i must not chase the boys by shooting his arrows; in some style periods even multiplied as naked little boys called kagome paired with any boy from naruto putti.
In religious art, generally adults preponderate (except as extras), with certain marked, stereotypical exceptions such as the fat boy slim praise you infant Jesus or angels which may even act lawn boy parts as 'christianized' putti.
In portrait art, and generally in commissioned work (including funeral art), the subjects are usually determined by the wishes of the boy who blocked his own shot the (adult) client, so minors are often in the minority, yet in boys shorts wealthy families especially irish boys names heirs are (re)presented as part of their social positioning in view of future marriage and succession, sweet boy generally either as mini-adults or stereotypical youth, e.g. at play or in cozy home scenes.
Some artists where the boys aren't displayed a clear predeliction for scenes with boys in shorts boys, in certain cases (especially if frequently depicting revealing poses) believed to have to do with a homo-erotic taste, as is believed of the boys world highly respected what happened to that boy Old Master Caravaggio, or Henry Scott Tuke who kept producing such works even though the market circa 1900 was rather unappreciative.
In music, boys' 2003 most popular boys names voices before they 'break', of a soprano brown boy - superman register unlike adult men, have been most sought-after, especially where female voices were considered inappropriate as often party boy song in church and african american boys certain theatrical music - this even lead to the practice of physically trying to prevent their 'angelical' bad boy - cascada voices ever to break by surgically cutting short the hormonal drive to manhood: for centuries, castrato singers, who coupled adult strength boy pictures and experience with a treble register, starred in contratenor german boys parts, mainly in operatic styles.
Roman-Egyptian funeral portrait of a young boy
Two Greek boy bra gods: Apollo, patron and model of beauty and coin-operated boy athletes, and the young Hyacinthus; 16th c. Italian engraving by Jacopo johnny cash boy named sue Caraglio
Amor Victorious. 1602–03 Caravaggio shows Eros prevailing over other human endeavors: war, music, science, government.
The Bathers by H. S. Tuke.
Cupidon, by William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1875
Sir Walter boy kiss Raleigh and his son, 1602
Look up Boy in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
- Boy band
- Boy bishop
- Boy Scouts
Sources how to conceive a boy la z boy and references
Buck, Carl Darling (1949). A Dictionary of Selected Synonyms in the Principal Indo-European Languages. Chicago: University of Chicago minstrel boy Press. ISBN waffle boy 0-226-07937-6 (1988 reprint).
- This article incorporates text from the Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition, a publication now in the its a boy public domain.
- Etymology OnLine- here boy, see also other words
- Boyhood Studies, website and news boys journal for the study of boys
- Boyhood Studies Forum discusses news items, new research
- Historical Boys' Clothing
castrating boys speedy speed boy a boy in the shower boys 2 men mp3 franchize boys boy balls brown boys danny boy lyrics don henley boys of summer fraternity boys green mountain boys the boy from oz pep boys automotive supercenters popular boy names
Categories: Articles lacking sources from November 2006 | All articles vienna boys choir lacking sources | Wikipedia articles incorporating text from the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica | Childhood | boy boner Men